[nagdu] guidedog and mobility skills

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sat Nov 1 16:28:59 UTC 2014

Debby, I think that you are misunderstanding what I am trying to say. Yes,
there are people who are better dog travelers than cane travelers, and I am
one of them. To be honest, whenever I use my cane, I wonder how I survived
so many years using a cane; perhaps it was because I did not know what
traveling with a dog was like. That aside, there are certain skills that a
person has to have regardless of what type of mobility aid that person is
using, with the exception of sighted guide, given that the sighted person
knows the area. If you do not know how to problem solve when you are lost or
how to cross a street without getting run over because you crossed at the
wrong time, then it does not matter that much if you have a cane or a dog.
As I have said before, dogs can and will learn certain routes, but it is not
something that you get out of the box, and it can go wrong sometimes. That
is not to say that I have not once or twice let Lexia take complete control.
Does that make more sense?

Nicole