[nagdu] guidedog and mobility skills

Danielle Burton danielleburton94 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 01:20:06 UTC 2014

Hi everyone, I am a little late coming to this discussion but here's a slightly different situation. I am deaf-blind and I can use a cane but I travel best with a dog. Although I have only had a dog for 4 months I have experienced a significant amount of more confidence and  less stress when travveling. I have mild to moderate hearing loss and wear hearing aids in both ears. My hearing isn't always  a reliable source of information.  Therefore, re, when I'm in a situation where I can't hear like a noisy room or a place with loud machinery outside I am kind of freaked out by it. With my dog I am considerably more calm because I can tell my dog which way I want to go but also trust that she's going to get me around the things that I cannot hear and it calms me down. Yes, I'm still in control because I decide where to go but she guides me safely in that situation where before I would just stand and wait for someone to guide me because I was terrified of traveling when I could not hear. Yes, I agree that you should be able to problem solve and be able to get from one place to another safely before getting a dog. But when I travel with my dog I can actually get more auditory information because I'm more relaxed and not worried about finding everything like I did with a cane if that makes any sense.

Danielle and Willa