[nagdu] College students

Danielle Burton danielleburton94 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 19:01:54 UTC 2014

Hi Bry, I'm in collge and just got my first dog in June so I may be able to help you. One big issues is whether you have a roommate or not. Many colleges will make an exception and give students with service dogs a private room if owy wish to do so. I personally did this because I felt that it would be too stressful for both me and my new dog if I had a roommate. The rooms are really small and 2 people and a dog is just too much for me. I think for a student in cinllege who gets a dog that is one big concern then need to consider. Do they want to oommaterh not.  If you have a roommate and you have a dog I feel your dog wouldn't get the freedom he should have when out of harness to move around the room. You would have to make sure the dog doesn't get into your roommates stuff if they dont agree to fully dog proof the room: Also your room will probably be the only safe place to play with your dog so it is even more important as a college student with a dog to make schre you have play time with your dog even through the streess of coursework. Some benefits are that it is easier to navigate crazy college campuses with a dog by teaching them your routes. It's time saving too! I got across campus in 20 minutes with a cane all last year and now it nly takes 10 minutes! I love it! Also, navigating big crowds of students is leis stressful and easy with a dog. As a side effect people approach you more with a dog. Those are just some thingunique to having a dog on a college campus.

Danielle and Willa