[nagdu] How often does a dog have to work?

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 21:41:15 UTC 2014

Hey Lisa, great question.  Every dog is different of course, so
it may depend on your individual dog, and certainly if you have
an injury and you are in pain walking or need time for an ankle,
knee or leg to heal, you should do that.  I try to do something
every day, even if it's not walking a huge distance.  But I do
give my dog one total day off a week if I can.  I need a day off
from routine, so I figure my dog might, too.  In the winter my
dogs have probably gotten less work, especially since I live on
the east side of Washington state where there's snow and ice.  I
didn't grow up with snow and ice, mostly rain and cold, and I
must say that the older I get the more anxious ice, especially
makes me.  And yes, I know, I can get things to put on my shoes
but that doesn't make me any less anxious.

I get depressed if I'm indoors too much, so even when I don't
feel like getting out there in the cold bluster of winter I make
myself do it because it does make me feel better.  Something
about endorphins I think.  (Grin).  Sorry for the ramble in
trying to answer your question.    Peace,    Debby and Neena