[nagdu] crate vs tie-down

Valerie Gibson valandkayla at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 18:40:25 UTC 2014

Hi,

You're a little harsh on crate training, don't you think?

I can see how tie down would be useful, and I can see how crates can be cumbersome, but crate training is supposed to mimmick the den that a mother dog would proide to her pups, so it's easy for the dog to understand.  I don't know of many dogs who tie their pups to trees.

Second, self discipline is taught.  As puppies, dogs ar going to grab things unless they're told what is and is not acceptable to grab.  There is no quick fix for this, only consistancy on your part in teaching the dog.

Third, What if your dog is sick and you need to put her somewhere? a crate is the best place for this.  Or, if there is another dog who is too playful (and your dog wants to be left alone) a crate works.

That being said, I think both crates and tie downs have their place, and dogs shoud be taught to accept both.

I personally don't like dogs coming to my house if theyre not crate trained, nor woud i take a dog to someones house who was not crate trained.

I dont mean to sound harsh, but if your dog doesn't accept crate training, is more the fault of the owner, not the dog.