[nagdu] Obedience

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 13:46:35 UTC 2014

Krocus should be waiting for your commands before he does them. We always
varied the order in which we did them, and if we said down and he sat right
away, just tell him back down again. I did a lot of making Fisher sit and
walking away from him and telling him to rest. He has no reason why he
should do that. It is hard for him sometimes because of the other dogs. And
I am not as diligent as I should be either.
As for the food, it is hard to do it on the floor, but I have offered the
dog things he shouldn't have and then corrected if he tried to take it. I
think your best bet is to do the food with the help of someone, though there
are surely ways. If you are holding the leash and know the exact location of
the food, you can be watching for him to drop that head. I am using a GL in
restaurants to avoid the problem, or at least keeping the leash in one hand
and the harness in the other because I can react more quickly to his
efforts. I know that's not about obedience, but something could come of it
to make the food checks easier to do.
Cindy