[nagdu] petting guide dog question

Michael Hingson info at michaelhingson.com
Fri Nov 28 16:05:59 UTC 2014

Hi John,

Good question.  When the dog is out of harness and off work it is his or her time to relax.  Even so, you must make certain that there are boundaries.  Rules do not go away just because the dog is off work.

For example, no begging, no feeding from the table, and you must make sure that the dog continues to obey your commands.

Having said all that I think most all of us do let our guides visit other people mostly when the guides are out of harness.  What you do not want to do is to permit others to be the ones to give the guide commands and take over control over him or her.  You have to be the one the dog respects and obeys.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Michael Hingson
Vice President, NAGDU

The Michael Hingson Group, INC.
"Speaking with Vision"
Michael Hingson, President
(415) 827-4084
info at michaelhingson.com
To order Michael Hingson's new book, Running With Roselle, and check on Michael Hingson's speaking availability for your next event please visit:
www.michaelhingson.com

To purchase your own portrait of Roselle painted by the world's foremost animal artist, Ron Burns, please visit http://www.ronburns.com/roselle