[nagdu] petting guide dog question

Larry D Keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Fri Nov 28 18:39:14 UTC 2014

Well Nicole, I consider it rude not to ask anyone if I can pet there dog for
whatever reason! We don't know how the dog might be trained or how it might
react. We should always ask and respect the fact that sometimes, we can't.
An extreme example would be a dog who does police work. Imagine what happens
if a person approaches a vehicle with a nice looking shepherd inside. They
try to reach in and will probably get bitten because the dogs are trained to
protect the car. I've actually heard of a case like that. However, the
person in that case was warned first and reached in anyway. The dog nailed
him and he tried to sue. Didn't stand because the person was warned what the
dog would do and ignored the warning. That's part of why I would always ask.
Among a whole lot of other reasons including but not limited to; is the dog
socialized, has he been abused or is she doing something I could interfere
with if we try. As a thaught question, how many members of the canine units
at police departments get asked to pet the dogs? The dogs can be justg as
friendly as ours! But, I somehow think that it doesn't come up much!