[nagdu] Traveling from USA to Europe with a dog.

Dudley Hanks dhanks at dudley-hanks.com
Wed Oct 1 18:00:06 UTC 2014

Yes, I've been to the UK a couple of times with my present Guide, Michener,
and yes, you'll need to have your Guide micro-chipped.

The chip needs to be implanted prior to your Guide being vaccinated for
rabies, and I think the rabies vaccine needs to be done a few months prior
to your travel date.

In my case, entry into the UK also required a tapeworm treatment that had to
be administered no more than 5 days prior to my arrival date, and no less
than 2 days prior to arrival into the UK.

The tapeworm treatment was the toughest, since it had to be administered by
Michener's vet, and then the paperwork had to be stamped by a Canadian
Government Federal Vet, all at a time when I had lots of details to take
care of.

When the plane landed, I had to wait for a representative from England's
Animal Care department to check him out and review his paperwork before we
could leave the plane.

I'd suggest that you research whatever country you are planning to arrive in
to see if it has requirements over-and-above what is required into Europe as
a whole, i.e. the tapeworm treatment for entry into the UK.  If you are
planning to travel to the UK, let me know, I can provide you with some links
and phone numbers you'll need to check out.

As for how things went?  The flight from Edmonton to London was 8 hours, so
Mich had to go about 11 hours without relieving.  He managed nicely, but I
asked the Animal Care rep to take him out for relieving prior to our
entering the terminal.  The rep had no problem helping out.

On our last trip, we travelled all around England and Scotland, and only had
one incident where a restaurant wasn't very happy about having a Guide Dog
on the premises.  We had no problem with hotels/motels.

My only caution is be careful on some of those narrow, windy streets and
alleys.  There were an awful lot of prickly hedges lining walkways that were
never designed for the width needed for a dog guiding a human.

Good Luck,
Dudley, with Michener