[nagdu] Doggie distraction... success?

L Gwizdak leg1950 at cox.net
Thu Oct 2 18:07:58 UTC 2014

Hi folks,
I've been a longtime guide dog user since 1973.  I have pretty much seen
everything in guide dogs and their handlers.

When I want to let my dogs do something, I ask myself, "How will this impact
my dog's work in harness?"  Sometimes behaviors can spill over into work in
harness.  An example would be say, I want to let my dog play with dogs alot
and I let my dog do that.  It could be possible that I may find I have an
increased problem in dog distraction while working.  If I find that my dog
cannot handle certain freedoms, well then I'll have to curtail things either
forever or until the dog "gets it" that it can do some things off harness
and not working and not do them in harness.  This takes maturity in the dog
and consistancey in the handler. I NEVER allow people to feed my dogs people
food.  This WILL spill over into work in the form of trouble controlling the
dog in a restaurant or picnic situation.  I had a friend who ruined someone
else's guide dog that became a real pill in a restaurant.  He did this ONE
time to my dog and I ripped him a new one over that.  He didn't do that
again with any of my dogs. Another person feeding your dog a meal because
they are dog-sitting your dog is totally different.  It is the dog's meal in
his dish.

I do pet-assisted therapy with my guide dogs.  The dog is out of harness but
on leash and under my control at all times.  we deal with frail and/or
senior people at nursing homes mostly.  Wwe visit places with disabled kids
or psych wards of hospitals.  I tailor what I let my dogs do on leash in all
these different environments.  With some of the younger folks, I'll let my
dog get a bit silly and roll on his back but always, always on leash and
under my direct control.

As to petting in harness, I do allow it with friends but do not encourage it
with the general public on the street or bus.  I teach my dogs to look at
people petting them in harness on the streets like any other distraction.
If my dog responds to the petting, I tell the dog to "leave it" and continue
on my way.  I used to try to explain to people why they shouldn't do this
but they act like idiots mostly and makes me angry.  So, I say nothing to
the person and correct the dog just like I would for a loose dog or bird or
other animal.  When my dog doesn't respond to the person, they give up and
go away.  I have found that people like to distract our dogs due to their
childish need to play with a dog regardless of what that dog may be doing.
Sometimes they get mad when I correct the dog (mostly verbal correction).  I
just calmly say, "I don't know what your problem is, you caused the dog to
get the correction."  They mostly then shut up and go on their way. LOL!
This is to the general public who are just on the streets.  With friends, my
rule is no petting or interaction of any kind IF I am holding the harness
handle and walking.  If we stiop and talk, I will drop the handle and let my
dogs say hello -  usually with a command to my dog of "Say hello".

Each team has to do what is best for them and their dogs.  There's no real
right or wrong.  I would recommend that interaction with others be limited
if you just came home with a new guide.  The dog needs to learn you and your
rules first.  That way, bad habits don't happen while you are out working
the dog in public.

Lyn

"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown