[nagdu] Doggie distraction... success?

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 21:23:48 UTC 2014

On 10/3/14, Raven Tolliver via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> The Golden guy has a moderate to strong dog distraction. Compared to 2
> years ago, we both have improved tremendously about handling this.
> Most days, the Golden Guy will pull toward or look back at other dogs.
> For the looking, I just snap my fingers rhythmically to keep him
> focused, and it works. When he's pulling, I do restrain him just with
> the harness and drag him in the right direction.
> The days are increasing though where we'll pass dogs, some of them
> being vocal and pulling toward him, and he will walk by them without
> even speeding up as I have taught him to do to get passed the
> distraction faster. On those days, I praise the hell out of him. It's
> just such an improvement. I don't think this distraction will ever go
> away, but every small success means a lot to me, and I let him know
> it.
> Daryl, it's good that even in the presence of the distraction, and
> even when trying to go for it, Jenny will listen. That is a wonderful
> thing. I've pretty much lost the Golden Guy when he starts pulling and
> trying to get at a dog, which is why I have to drag him away. I hate
> doing it--it just goes against my force-free philosophy. But I haven't
> found a work around yet.
>
> On 10/2/14, L Gwizdak via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>> I've been a longtime guide dog user since 1973.  I have pretty much seen
>> everything in guide dogs and their handlers.
>>
>> When I want to let my dogs do something, I ask myself, "How will this
>> impact
>>
>> my dog's work in harness?"  Sometimes behaviors can spill over into work
>> in
>>
>> harness.  An example would be say, I want to let my dog play with dogs
>> alot
>>
>> and I let my dog do that.  It could be possible that I may find I have an
>> increased problem in dog distraction while working.  If I find that my
>> dog
>> cannot handle certain freedoms, well then I'll have to curtail things
>> either
>>
>> forever or until the dog "gets it" that it can do some things off harness
>> and not working and not do them in harness.  This takes maturity in the
>> dog
>>
>> and consistancey in the handler. I NEVER allow people to feed my dogs
>> people
>>
>> food.  This WILL spill over into work in the form of trouble controlling
>> the
>>
>> dog in a restaurant or picnic situation.  I had a friend who ruined
>> someone
>>
>> else's guide dog that became a real pill in a restaurant.  He did this
>> ONE
>> time to my dog and I ripped him a new one over that.  He didn't do that
>> again with any of my dogs. Another person feeding your dog a meal because
>> they are dog-sitting your dog is totally different.  It is the dog's meal
>> in

> [...]
My dog has a moderate animal distraction. Most of the time when he
sees a bunny or dog, telling him "leav it, straight" is enough to get
his attention. When dogs are really close to him (especially when they
are barking) or if he sees a cat he does not particularly like, he
will pull toward the animal and even bark at cats. When this happens,
I make him stop (sometimes sit), put myself between my dog and the
distraction, pet him calmly under the chin, and eventually use the
touch command. If he responds, I know he is able to continue working.

Danielle and Thai