[nagdu] Some people aren't very bright ... :)

Debra Baker bakerdebra53 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 19:09:46 UTC 2014

Dear Mark and all,

I am Debbie Baker and new to this list.  I know, Mark, that your best hope
was to avoid stomach upset for your dog.  But, in case not in future, I have
one solution that is definitely only for emergencies.

I was a fairly new dog handler and had a guide that ate much more chocolate
than any dog should have.  It happened at night and I called my vet.  He
told me to force a quarter cup of hydrogen peroxide into her stomach to
induce vomiting and recommended to do it outside since she would vomit in
ten to fifteen minutes.  Mine was a 60 pound dog.  I don't know if the
dosage would be adjusted according to weight.  It worked.  It's not
pleasant, but can work in an emergency situation if you know you must induce
vomiting.  Of course, check with your own vet first.   I haven't had to use
it since.  If you've ever rinsed your own mouth with peroxide, you know that
it foams and has an acrid taste.  But of course, if you want to avoid
stomach upset, as you had hoped, my vet recommends Pepsid AC.  That has
worked to avoid stomach upset altogether for me as well.

Debbie Baker and Bella