[nagdu] Is Training the Answer?

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 11 16:07:13 UTC 2014

Dear Fellow Federationists,

                I want to share comments I made to the subscribers of the
NFB of Florida list. These comments are in response to messages concerning a
woman who was harassed by several security officers at the Museum of Florida
History in our Capitol, Tallahassee, Florida. Many subscribers commented
that the best way to handle such discrimination is through the provision of
more training. Please take a moment to read my response about this.

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala

                There have been some comments that the answer to the issue
of discrimination because of the use of a guide dog is more training. Though
I agree that training should be an essential element, such training should
be done before law enforcement and security have direct citizen contact, not
as the resolution of discrimination! When such discrimination occurs,
though, disciplinary action must include a binding agreement that includes
additional training and specific injunctions.

                I want to remind you that this discrimination was not,
contrary to the minimizations of the Secretary of State's office, the result
of the actions of one security officer. It was not even the result of the
actions of two or three security officers. It was perpetrated by six
officers, one of whom admitted he was the supervisor who had ordered the
actions of the others. When I spoke with Darren Fancher who told me he
oversees the security contractors for the Florida Department of management
Services DMS), he first said he was unaware of the incident; then he said he
might have heard something about it; and then he advised me he had ordered a
full investigation! All I can say is that he did a lot of work in the three
minutes he was on the telephone with me!

                During our demonstration on Friday, at least five members of
the general public stopped to ask about the purpose of our demonstration.
When we told them of the discrimination levied by the security officers they
were astonished that such discrimination is still occurring. Now, if members
of the general public are aware of the laws that provide our rights of
access, how can we excuse the actions of those who have a greater
responsibility to the public on matters of law? Some of you may not be aware
that the state of Florida passed the first legislation concerning the right
of access for a blind person to public places with a guide dog in 1949, 65
years ago! The Americans with disabilities Act has been in effect since
1990, 24 years! The laws of the state of Florida are in every library and
MyFlorida.com and implementing regulations of the ADA are published in the
Federal Register and are readily available on the Department of Justice
website, as well as on the NAGDU website and a number of other sites. Oh,
and did I mention there's now an app for that?

During the period of July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014, the NAGDU Information and
advocacy Hotline receive 1,063 calls from individuals seeking information
about the rights and responsibilities of service dog users or seeking
assistance because of discrimination. While on my way to Tallahassee, I took
a call to the hotline from an individual in Kissimmee who is being told he
cannot ride in a taxicab with his dog. This list has seen news reports about
hotels, restaurants, hospitals, convenience stores, doctor's offices, and
theaters denying access to service dog users. When are we going to say we
will no longer tolerate discrimination? When are we going to demand that law
enforcement and security officers licensed by the state receive effective
training so that, when we do call them for assistance because of
discrimination we are not dismissed with the same old excuse that this is a
civil matter when we know it is criminal? When are we going to call the
State's Attorneys to task for sweeping the law under the rug and sending the
message that they are not interested in securing our civil rights by failing
to prosecute offenders? When will we demand that the state of Florida
demonstrate the right way to handle discrimination is to take swift,
decisive, and effective measures to punish those who violate the law and our
civil rights? Well, the national Federation of the Blind and the National
Association of guide dog Users made that decision some time ago! Now, it is
up to the grassroots members - you and me - to see it to the end! The
National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
expectations of blind people because low expectations are the barriers that
stand between us and our dreams.

                This issue is not about one person being harassed because of
her guide dog! It is about the state of Florida dismissing us until we asked
the media to tell the story of state-sponsored discrimination against us! If
we had not pressed the issue, it would have been ignored! Every citizen of
the state and of the nation should be concerned about this because this sort
of discrimination erodes the very fabric of freedom on which our society is
built. Until everyone who reads this message gets out from behind their
computers and stands on the barriers with us, we will continue to face
discrimination and low expectations. We are a powerful organization only
when we stand together against injustice. I encourage you to join me as we
work together to remove the barriers that stand between blind people and our
dreams!

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President

National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc.

National Federation of the Blind

(813) 626-2789

(888) 624-3841 (Hotline)

President at nagdu.org

http://www.nagdu.org

High expectations create unlimited potential for the blind!