[nagdu] Separation anxiety

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 03:39:47 UTC 2014

Alyssa,
I encourage you to use Amber's method. Start small, with small
distances and short amounts of time, and work your way up. Set your
dog up for success by rewarding her for each small success. I had to
do this with the Golden Guy when we returned to Michigan. In a new
place with unfamiliar people, I had to start over with working on
separation anxiety with him. He picked up on this training very
quickly, and settled nicely. Remember that these dogs have been taken
away from and left by a lot of people. Some would say I'm
anthropomorphizing, but I swear it certainly affects them. But I
understand that many dogs deal with separation anxiety. It is
reasonable. They are pack animals to the core, and being apart from
their pack just is not natural. But most dogs get accustomed with the
right training.

On 10/13/14, debby phillips via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi Alyssa, Debby here.  Maybe you should just ignore her.  I know
> it's obnoxious and all, but she knows that she gets your
> attention when she whines and barks.  Do you live in an
> apartment? If not, let her whine and bark for awhile.  If she
> thinks that you'll come back immediately once she starts fussing
> then she's training you.  (Smile).    Peace,    Debby and Neena

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com