[nagdu] Perspectives on Guide Dogs

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Oct 20 22:54:40 UTC 2014

Here you go!

1. Based on your experiences, which dog breeds do you feel make the best
guide dogs and why?
All of them...it just depends on the person, their particular place in life
and what they want.  My semi retired guide is a lab and Boxer cross and my
younger very green guide is a Doberman.   they are both good guides,
interestingly they work fairly similarly, but their personalities are
different.

2. How have the dynamics in your home been changed since you got a guide
dog, especially your relationships with family and other pets? If so, how do
you keep a balance between your relationships?
I have three dogs right now.  they have all been or are guides.  I've always
had dogs, so I can't compare relationships before and after dogs.   They are
a main source of enjoyment for everyone here.  We live in a small town with
not a lot of things to do.  It's nice to go to the dog park with my husband
or on a long walk with my son and the dogs.

3. Do you feel that people tend to be drawn to you because of your dog
rather than your own qualities? If so, have you done anything to change
that?
Random strangers, yes.  People I call friends, not so much.  I haven't done
much to change it.  I'm not interested in developing friendships with random
Wal-Mart shoppers, so I'm really totally fine with keeping our interactions
to chit chat about the dog.  If it weren't idle talk about the dog, I'd have
to talk about weather or football, so the dog is good in that respect.

4. Have any of you ever been aware of housing or job discrimination because
of your dog? If so, please explain.
No.  I was in between dogs when I interviewed for my current job.  Monty
started coming to work with me nearly a year later.  It has never been an
issue.  Even today when I had a meeting with my supervisor and Jetta got up
27 times. *sigh*

5. Where and when do you believe it is appropriate to have your dog with
you, and where and when should one leave the dog at home? For example, is it
appropriate to take your dog to a job interview?
I am currently looking for another job, because my current job is a three
ring circus.  I do plan on taking my guide to interviews.  However that will
be a new experience for me.  In the past I've been in between dogs when I
started a new job.
I do not take my guides to friends homes who aren't dog people...usually.  I
also do not take my dog to funerals.  Not because of the dog or any sort of
access type of concern, but because I'm a mess and not in a good mental
place to be working with the dog.  If I'm stressed, the dog will pick up on
it.   I also do not take my guides to zoos.  I've not had a guide that I
think could handle it.  Monty would have been stressed.  Jetta and Belle
would be drooling the whole time.  There are others, but I decide on a case
by case basis.

6. For those of you who are fond of sports such as running, hiking, and the
like, are you able to use your dog as a mobility aid while participating in
these activities?
Yes.  I used to run before I broke my foot.  It can be done, but you need to
go on a smooth, level surface, with no sharp turns, no overhead obstacles
and little in the way of other obstacles.  Here we have paved hike and bike
trails that are perfect.  I do not suggest running in downtown Chicago.
*smile*  I do still do some hiking and other off road walking with my
guides.  The hardest part there is keeping oriented.  the dog does a good
job of being careful about my footing.

7. Do you think it is appropriate for a mobility instructor the use a guide
dog?
I don't see why not.

8. What are some of the emotional benefits that your guide dog has provided
you?
Comedy relief.  And they are good for weight loss and learning to wake up
early too!

9. Have you ever encountered folks who had dog allergies or fear of dogs? If
so, how did you deal with that?
I've encountered people who have said they are allergic, but they seemed to
be breathing fine, so I'm not sure what they were talking about.  My husband
has all sorts of allergies.   For him it's a cumulative effect.  So if there
is a lot of pollen and it's dry and dusty and he's been working around grain
dust and the dogs are shedding and I forget to vacuum...then it's a problem.
I try to vacuum a couple of times a week, dust frequently and I try to get
him to wear a dust mask when he's working in dusty situations.  It's
manageable.

I've encountered a few people who said they were afraid of dogs.  I didn't
do anything.  they can move away if they feel the need to do so.

10.  What are some ways of finding a balance between treating your guide dog
as a "soul mate" and simply using the guide dog as a mobility aid? I know
that some of you might have extremely intimate relationships with your dogs
and think of them on equal terms with a child or spouse. While I see nothing
wrong with this, I personally do not want to think of my dog that way; I
want it simply to be my partner and my companion. I do not want it to get in
the way of my relationships with my human family. I also, however, want to
give my dog no less attention and love than any animal deserves. What are
some ways of developing healthy boundaries with your dog?
Ummm...I'm not sure I'm following this entirely.  My guide dogs are dogs and
they are treated like dogs...well taken care of, maybe even pampered, but
they are still dogs.   Rules we have about dogs and people...
people get first pick of spots on the couch.  Lots of guide dog handlers
don't let their dogs on the furniture at all.  I do, but if I want them off,
then they get off.
I used to let the dogs on the bed, but I don't anymore.
When we are eating, dogs can lie quietly under the table or go in the other
room.
When I'm cooking, no dogs in the kitchen.
The dogs must listen to all family members.  I am the primary caretaker of
the dogs, but if I'm not around then they have to listen to whomever is.
My family is good about not interfering with me working with my guide
dog...for the most part.  Every now and then I have to remind someone about
what is and what isn't okay.  My husband called Monty to him across a
parking lot once.  It scared me silly because there's no way I would have
signaled Monty to set out guiding me across a parking lot with cars coming
and going all over the place like that.   We cross other parking lots, but
this situation was different.  I'm not explaining well, sorry.
My parents are a different story all together.  They don't think I really
need a dog or a cane for that matter.  They think Jetta is going to eat
them.  They have never met Jetta, so why they have decided she's ferocious,
I'm not really sure.   I don't see them all that often, so mostly I just put
up with their quirks.

11. As blind people, we know that using a guide dog instead of a cane makes
no difference in the independence of the person. The average sighted person,
however, is not educated in our mobility aids, and many of them have their
own preconceived ideas about why one may use a cane or a dog. Based on your
experiences, do you believe that the overall public perception would favor a
cane user or a dog user? For example, do you believe that you might have a
greater chance getting a certain job if you brought your dog or your cane to
the interview? Another example: Do you believe that a sighted person would
be more or less inclined to want to date a blind person with a dog or
without one?
No clue.  I think it depends on the particular person more so than their
level of vision.  I mean there are dog people and people who are neutral and
then there are the cat people.   If you are comfortable and adept at using
your preferred mobility tool, then that will show and the rest is up to
chance or providence or the divine.   I've pretty much stopped wondering
what the world thinks of my choices.  that's a sure way to loose my mind.
*smile*  I go and do what I want to do and find my people along the way.

HTH
Julie