[nagdu] just when you think you've heard it all

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 15:40:30 UTC 2014

I think what I'm trying to say is that guide dogs are experimental like some
technology is experimental. We still don't know the best ways to train them,
see all the discussions on old school methods v. positive reinforcement, v.
clicker along with how and when to use any of these methods.
Access laws still aren't where they need to be, I'd argue that if guide dogs
were truly operational, access laws would be a nonissue.
Guide dogs have been around for 80 years, and that isn't very long. Length
of time means nothing as to whether or not something should be considered
operational. I say that we're still in the test phase of guide dog
development. The schools say they work well so they've passed the factory
acceptance test. End users have mixed results. This is fine.
Compare this with say indoor plumbing. We all have it, we all know how it
works. We all know when it works and what it should do. Indoor plumbing is
so common you can't buy or rent a building without it. Indoor plumbing is
operational. This wasn't the case 100 years ago.
All technologies go through an experimental phase.