[nagdu] Class minus 5

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Oct 22 15:39:46 UTC 2014

Well, it looks like I'm stuck with the trainer with whom I had a bad
experience.  However, I've been asking around, and people say she uses and
teaches positive training techniques, which I really want to learn more
about.  They also say she seems able to think outside the box and try
something else, if a technique is not working for a particular student, and
is strong on teaching good technique.  So I think I'll be OK.  I wish the
supervisor had explained these good qualities to me, which are in fact the
kinds of things I had asked for in the letter I sent with my application.
Either he didn't read my letter, or he expects my unquestioning faith in his
judgement.  I quit doing unquestioning trust some time ago.  Just ask my
doctor, or my vet. Guess I've just become a difficult old cuss, or a client
who expects to be involved in the dicision process, however you want to look
at it.
Really, I don't think many trainers get how stressful this all can be.  A
friend told me about a discussion she had with a trainer about it.  The
trainer thought getting a new dog was exciting and fun, a chance to learn
about a new personality and figure out how best to work with that dog.
Which is true, but, as my friend tried to explain, it's also trading in a
dog I know I can trust, who knows what I want and expect, knows my routines,
and has saved me from serious harm more times than I can count, for some
unknown green pup without a lot of real-world experience.  It's a whole
different perspective. Because, though the trainers know in theory that it's
sometimes life-and-death, it's not usually so for them.
Tracy