[nagdu] Poodles and other Cute Breeds

Darla djrogers0628 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 15:17:49 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone,

This may not be the correct subject line, so feel free to change it, if
appropriate.

I was at a meeting Saturday where there were probably 7 guide dogs; I sat at
a table with someone I know who has a poodle.  Rather than making it lie
quietly it was at the end of its leash constantly bothering my dog and every
other dog it could get to.  All the handler did was scold and pull the dog
back-no leash correction; no other command to give the dog something else to
do.  I guess the subject line should read "dog management."

This handler has also had, at least one dog, before this poodle, but I'm
wondering if people are getting poodles more for the cuteness factor than
the great working dogs they are knowing people with allergies who need a
less allergy-producing dog are waiting for one.

I'm not sure if there is a question here or not except to say that this kind
of behavior really honks me off, especially when the handler really isn't
making an effort to do anything about it.  Guess next time I will move to a
table where she'd have to crowd in to fit, but I don't understand people
getting a dog and allowing it to act like a wild thing or something.

If I do approach her-whether or not she likes me afterword is
immaterial-what have you all found that works.

When I see  people handle dogs like she does, it makes me wish the schools
**did** have more to day, but we need to police ourselves, and I want it to
stay that way.

I should think, if I had a dog that really drew a lot of attention, I'd try
even harder to keep the dog close to me and under control and as unobtrusive
as possible.

Sorry for my grump session, but Huck really tried so hard to be good.  The
handler closest to me also had a dog; if you didn't' possibly see her, you'd
have never known her dog was there, and she and I have had lunch with the
two dogs nose to nose under the table, and nobody knew they were even there.

Darla & Handsome Huck Who really does try to be good most of the time

Darla J. Rogers M.S.

Djrogers0628 at gmail.com