[nagdu] Certification was RE: Uber sued for allegedly refusingrides to the blind andputting a dog in the trunk

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Sat Sep 13 16:08:30 UTC 2014

Hi Valerie.

It's clear you've put a good deal of thought into this, and I hope you
haven't felt overwhelmed by all the replies.

The major concerns I have with your idea are first that it seems like
you are proposing a system of licensure without accountability.  Would
the trainer ever be held accountable for any action of the dog?  If
not, then what's the point?  Similarly, would the AAPDT need to alter
their exams to test for items specific to training guide dogs?

Second, how would a business owner validate an ID card for a dog
presented by a handler?  Would the AAPDT run some sort of validation
service?  Who would pay for that service?  Would that cost not be
passed along in the form of an increased fee for trainers?

You say that a legal penalty could be put in place to punish those who
try to falsely claim their dogs are service dogs.  Did you know that
there are already a number of such laws on the books around the
country, yet when was the last time you heard of someone being
prosecuted under one of these laws?  So, if the current laws are
presumably ineffective, how would more laws help?

Under your plan, we would be certifying the trainer, and by extension
the dogs trained by that trainer.  What if I were to purchase a
lightly used service dog off of Craigslist, or loan my wife my guide
dog, even though she can see just fine?  How would identification of
the dog help business owners know that she has no right to use a
service dog, even though the dog is in fact a service dog?

If the AAPDT ever decided to cease training, or if they were forced
out of business by circumstance, but we had laws on the books
requiring dogs to be trained by trainers certified by AAPDT, where
would that leave dog handlers?  Or similarly, what happens if the
AAPDT decides to suddenly raise their rates, or to require a great
deal more qualifications, such as a degree in animal behavior, from
trainers?  Perhaps unlikely, but those are the risks you run if you
make a private organization the gatekeepers to people's primary
mobility aids.

Finally, and perhaps the biggest concern for me, is simply the idea
that any business owner or employee who's premises I enter would have
the right to request identification.  I think the blind and other
disabled individuals are already sufficiently marginalized.  We don't
need the added indignity of being forced to produce our papers just
because we decided to run to the store, or pick our kids up from the
local Recreation Center.

I do of course realize that it would be my dog's papers, and not mine,
but I think the difference is so small as to be irrelevant.

Just my thoughts on all this.

Aaron

On 9/12/14, Valerie Gibson via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> [...]
> service dog in training.  It's only when said dog acts aggressively to my
> dog or others that I really start to get pissed off.
>

> On Sep 12, 2014, at 3:37 AM, Larry D Keeler via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Again Nicole, I'm more interested why they put the dog in the trunk and
>> why the handler let it happen. My guess is that they needed the ride and
>> they felt bullied into conceeding. Ideas and oppinions will keep going on
>> the other issue but putting dogs in the trunk is not usually done over
>> here in this country with pets or service animals! But being a service
>> animal, it should have benn what our dogs do and riding at they're feet.
>> Certification or not isn't really a good excuse to put the dog in the boot
>> for any reason!
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nicole Torcolini via nagdu"
>> <nagdu at nfbnet.org>
>> National Association of Guide Dog Users'" <nagdu at nfbnet.org>
>> Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:14 PM
>> Subject: [nagdu] Certification was RE: Uber sued for allegedly
>> refusingrides to the blind andputting a dog in the trunk
>>

>>> We have been round and round on this list about this topic numerous
>>> times.
>>> I know that some of the newer members were not included in those
>>> discussions, so I will summarize here, but I would really prefer not to
>>> start the whole discussion again as it always ends up in the same place.
>>> The idea of certification sounds fine in theory, but, as soon as you
>>> start
>>> filling in the fine grained details, it becomes apparent that the cons
>>> outweigh the pros. Who will do the certification? How do you make sure
>>> that
>>> that entity does not purposefully deny people certification? What will
>>> the
>>> dogs be certified in? It may be fairly straightforward for guide dogs,
>>> but
>>> there are several different kinds of service dogs, many of which are
>>> specifically trained to meat the unique needs of their handlers. Who
>>> will
>>> pay for the certification? How will people get to the certification
>>> center?
>>> And, above all, this will not stop people from making fake certification
>>> cards or certificates or whatever. It also most certainly will not
>>> change
>>> the perceptions that some people have about service dogs. Yes, some
>>> people
>>> had a bad experience with a fake service dog, and that is why they don't
>>> like service dogs. But some people just don't like service dogs for no
>>> good
>>> reason, and having a certification process is not going to change that.
>>> And, to end with a quote from the email for today for A Word a Day:
>>> A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
>>> You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass
>>> guilty. -Jessica Mitford, author, journalist, and civil rights activist
>>> (1917-1996)
>>>
>>> Nicole and Lexia

>>> But. And I do reiterate, this is my opinion. When someone who attends a

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/ntorcolini%40wavecable.co