[nagdu] Why I decided not to owner train.

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sun Sep 21 16:16:31 UTC 2014

Rox,

I like this. The things you listed are the traits I've seen that are
common to the successful owner-trainers I know. They also seem to really
love the process, which helps one keep going during the really hard and
exhausting parts. I know that's true for me. /smile/

The only other thing I might add is that one needs to be able to filter
out all the negativity from people who are sure blind people can't train
their own dogs and will go out of their way to make sure you know you
can't and that you are doing it all wrong and... It's also important to
listen to outside feedback, because often others will notice and tell
you about something you really do need to change. So I actually listen
to the naysayers just in case, then amuse myself by wondering why people
should be allowed to be out in public without their brains. /lol/ By now
I've learned to identify the experts who know it all because they've
heard of guide dogs as opposed to folks who actually do know something
of what they're talking about, as well as what is myth and what is
applicable to reality. So that does help me with filtering.

Tami