[nagdu] Pawz boots

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 11:08:53 UTC 2014

Coming a bit late to this one, but I've used Pawz boots through 2
length, harsh West Michigan winters.
I refused to use the Ruff Ware boots that most programs issue. I used
those initially and they ended up rubbing against the pads of my dog's
dew claws, tearing them open and causing them to bleed. I had to keep
his paws wrapped up good so they wouldn't fall victim to the salty
disasters of winter sidewalks and roads. Aside from that, I don't like
these boots for other reasons.
1. they are unnatural for dogs. Dogs walk on their toes, whereas
humans rely on the entire foot for proper balance and support. These
shoes are designed like human shoes, not dogs shoes. Cute, but
inconvenient. This is why dogs initially act silly, fussy, or
uncooperative in them. And when they get used to it, they deal with
them by speed walking or nearly running in them, and end up relying on
their tail to balance their bodies. This is why dogs usually wag their
tails while wearing these, not because they're excited to wear the
boots, but because they feel very off balance in them. My dog has even
slipped a couple times in them. Yes, they have traction, but that did
nothing for him when he was off balance already, walking on wet
stairs.
2. Dogs can't feel the ground beneath their feet due to the thick
soles. This creates more uncertainty in the boots. My dog would not
even lay down with them on because he didn't feel like he could slide
his paws forward with them on.
These factors on top of the boots not being a totally snug fit, not
form-fitting, and very easy to lose or kick off.

Pawz boots to the rescue!
No, they don't tear easily.
It's very easy to put them on. Just spread the opening with 3 fingers,
and slide them over the dog's paw. Make sure that no claws are tucked
under or snagged when you put them on at first.
I rely on these more for protection against salt and brine than
keeping the paws dry. But they do a great job of both.
These boots are nice and thin, so dogs can feel the ground. They are
form-fitting like socks, so there's no worry about dog's feeling
comfortable and keeping on the toes. And lastly, they are a snug fit,
so they don't slip off.
They outshine the Ruff Ware boots by far!

On 9/18/14, Tracy Carcione via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> I agree with Daryl's list of pros and cons.
> I prefer the Pawz boots to the Roughware.  The Pawz boots don't come off as
> easily, and, even if one gets lost, it's not a big deal, because they send
> extras, and, well, they're not expensive.
> I found them easy to rinse and reuse.
> Ben is not thrilled with them, but he will wear them for a couple hours, if
> I insist, without complaining.
> Tracy

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com