[nagdu] Why I decided not to owner train.

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 22 14:00:00 UTC 2014

Debby,

Jenny and I have been a team for just under a year. She started training with me when she was 18 months old (to the day).
We did in-home training, and I honestly loved it!  We dealt with transition problems as they came up, and if there were good/bad things during the evenings while the trainer was gone, I was able to ask questions and deal with real behavior issues as they came up, and we were able to change our training concerns on the fly.
We actually extended training an extra week because Jenny had some problems with our train system.  With a school-trained dog, I don't know that we would have been granted that freedom.  Perhaps she would have been washed out or trained with another dog, and then I may have been waiting,yet again, for another dog.
The trainer was very blunt with me and told me that Jenny could go either way: she could become a fantastic guide dog, or something would happen to her and she would not work well.  if she had exhibited some of these behaviors in the beginning of training, she would have washed out; by the time she showed them, we'd been training for 2-3 weeks, we had bonded... while the trainer had concerns, I was determined to make it work, and she was willing to give it everything we both had... Thankfully, with a lot of work, the former seems to be what's bearing out with jenny.

Daryl