[nagdu] Extreme Cold

Dudley Hanks dhanks at dudley-hanks.com
Sun Sep 28 13:53:07 UTC 2014

As with people, every dog is different;  some work well in cold, others
can't take it.

In general, my Guides have had no trouble with extended walks down to about
-25C, after that, a couple have worked eagerly down to around -35C, but one
couldn't take it because of thin
Fur on his ears.

If you experience temps below -35, I'd look for a mall to walk in and
exercise and try to minimize exposure to an absolute minimum.

Obviously, at these temps, even a light breeze can really cause problems.

Above all, use common sense.

Check if your Guide is lifting it's paws when not walking, whining, head
shaking, or general shivering.

If you put boots on your Guide, you shouldn't have trouble with snow getting
caught in between your Guide's toes.  But, if you have a Guide who hates
boots and your Guide starts limping because he or she has little snowballs
stuck between the pads and the toe webbing, clean them out immediately.

Also, try not to let your Guide eat too much snow.  It can induce shivering,
and can wreak havoc with your Guide's relieving schedule.

Whatever your routine, your Guide will get accustomed to it, but a longer
than normal walk or a colder day than normal can be tough for your Guide to
work through.

Take Care,
Dudley, with Michener

 : nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Nimer Jaber via