[nagdu] Interesting Weekend Adventures

Shanna Stichler slstich at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 04:43:00 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Here are some Diamond stories for your reading pleasure. I hope. :D For
anyone new to the group, Diamond is my 2.5 YO German Shepherd that I
trained. As a warning, this post got a bit longer than I thought it
would, so grab a sandwich or a drink or something before reading.

All of these took place over the weekend when we attended what I've been
calling, well, a hippy concert festival. There were many drunk hippies,
and also there were high hippies, which just so y'all know, intoxicated
hippies and service dogs are not a good combination, ever.

In any case, Diamond did very well at the concert itself. It was
outside, naturally, and there were I think 10,000 or so people present.
Her behavior and guiding could not have been better, and I think she
really did me and owner-trained dog guides proud, getting lots of
admiration from the masses. Actually, there happened to be another dog
at this event that was trained at a well-respected school, and my dog
did far better in terms of dealing with the chaotic and loud environment.

Aside from generally being awesome, poor Diamond had to put up with a
lot of stupid. There were lots of people who petted her without
permission, and she didn't care about them at all, remaining focused and
businesslike while being mauled by random strangers. One woman went so
far as to grab Diamond's face and hug her around the head while I was
working her. For real, I can't make this stuff up. Diamond didn't really
react much, and actually I didn't understand exactly what was happening
until the person I was with explained the situation to me.

The most special experience of the weekend though, well, first of all I
learned a very valuable lesson that I would like to pass on as a public
service. Meth is death, boys and girls. Really, stay far away from the
Meth, and you will avoid ending up like the gentleman who came over and
began petting my dog without asking or even addressing me. Again,
Diamond didn't acknowledge him at all, acting like the dignified, aloof
GSD. Lol So my friend actually stepped in and told the guy, who did I
mention had a grand total of one whole tooth in his head, cause of the
aforementioned Meth, not to pet my dog, and I jumped in with the usual
spiel about working service dogs, etc. His response? "I can't pet her?
Well, that's dumb as hell!" He got a bit belligerent, and we were a bit
concerned that he'd become a bit more than just a nuisance. Luckily he
didn't escalate, although he did apparently feel the need to cast
periodic death glares my way.

So those were the highlights of the weekend, at least where Diamond is
concerned. All in all, the whole event turned out to be a rather surreal
experience, which I felt the need to share with you all.

Shanna with Diamond
  <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Wingdings;
panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:2;
mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable;
mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} @font-face
{font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;
mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman;
mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0
0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;
mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss;
mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1073786111 1 0
415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:"";
margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:8.0pt; margin-left:0in;
line-height:107%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New
Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault
{mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New
Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault
{mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:8.0pt; line-height:107%;}
@page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;
mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;}
div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->