[nagdu] Revolving Paw

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Apr 1 12:25:44 UTC 2015

Being a guide dog is a job and like a job for people, you can retire, quit,
get fired or work.  with guide dogs we tend to call it retirement, maybe
because it sounds nice.  Call it whatever you like, guiding is not for every
dog.  some dogs change their mind and sometimes stuff happens to make
continuing a bad idea.  Age isn't a factor in every decision.

Ideas on your leash and paw situation...these are just off the top of my
head, in no particular order and may or may not be helpful.

What if you switched the leash to the other side?  Generally guides work on
the left and we hang the leash on their right side, nearest to us, but you
could easily put the leash on the other side so he can't reach it with the
same paw.  He could just use the other one, but it's an extremely easy thing
to try.

Have you tried using treats for motivation?  Maybe he needs a little more
encouragement to get him going?

What if you double back the way you just came from?  Would he pick up the
pace and stop with the paw thing?  If so this is an indication that there is
an issue with where you are going.  Maybe it's boring or he has associated
it with some traumatic event.  Sometimes what dogs view as traumatic is not
anything we might see as an issue.

What happens if you just wait?  Maybe it takes 5 minutes, but eventually
he'll probably get bored of standing there messing with the leash and decide
that getting going would be better.  It takes patience and you'd have to
plan this intervention when you had the time, but again it's an easy thing
to do.

Could you shorten the leash so he can't get a paw on it?  Turn his collar so
the leash attaches at the center at the back of his neck, keep the leash
straight down his back and held in your fingers with no slack.  Unless he
has some extra joints this should prevent messing with the leash.

You could try mixing up where you go.  Some dogs get bored with the same
routes all the time.  Even if you cross the street, walking in the same
direction on the other side, it can seem like a different route to the dog.

My new dog, Jetta, sometimes does the paw thing when I'm using the Gentle
Leader.  I just stand and wait for her to realize it isn't going to work.
For her this only takes ten seconds or so, but her issue isn't not wanting
to work.

the bigger and underlying issue is the refusal to work.  The pawing at the
leash is just a symptom of the bigger problem.  If you can figure out what
keeps him from wanting to work and eliminating it or if you can figure out
what motivates him to work through it, you'll be fine.

HTH
Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC
Visit my new website on developing courage and living authentically:
http://www.falling-up.com