[nagdu] Scavenging While Relieving

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Fri Apr 3 18:12:19 UTC 2015

When I brought Jake home from Seeing eye, he was intrigued by the pine cones
we have all around us. He ate one and it came up, yuk, in the house. So I
showed him the pine cones and said no. I think it only took once or  twice
can't remember and he just carries them and puts them in a pile, smile. We
picked up the piles of pine cones up with no words, and he doesn't do that
anymore. So all around his park area are  untouched pine cones, smile. So
try grabbing some mulch and saying no. Grabbing some sticks and saying no.
Grabbing some rocks and saying no. Grabbing some bones or meat and saying
no, warm hugs.  These dogs from Seeing Eye and other guide dogs schools are
smart. We are the ones that have to learn how to outsmart them. Sometimes
the simplest ideas work. Oh and I never used our correction word with Jake
by the way. Just no and showed the pine cones to him. I had to have a
sighted friend hand me the pine cones. Then I put them on the park area
ground. Jake reached down and I picked them up and stuck them under his nose
and said no.  in his park area. That is why I said pick up the mulch in your
hand.

Well anyway worked for this little stubborn golden boy just a few months out
of school. He hasn't done the pine cone bit in five six years. When they
learn something they learn.

Warm smile,

Becky and ten year old Jake still kicking his paws with joy!