[nagdu] Using the Gentle Leader

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Apr 4 14:31:55 UTC 2015

Hi Sean.

I'll try to explain, and hope it's clear.

The GL consists of 2 parts.  There is a loop you pull up to go over the
muzzle, with a clip and ring on the other end.  Put the loop over the muzzle
and pull the clip up so that the loop isn't tight but doesn't slide down the
dog's nose.  Then push the clip down so it stays put.  I had some trouble
with this part, but eventually got the clip to stick.

The other part of the GL is a collar whose 2 ends clip together.  Adjust the
collar so it sits up behind the dog's ears.  It's pretty tight, but not
choking the dog, just tight enough to stay up behind the ears.

Be sure that neither the nose loop nor the collar are twisted.

There are a couple ways to attach the leash.  You can have the whole leash
attached to the GL ring.  Or you can attach one end of the leash to the
chain collar, and the other end of the leash to the GL, which is what I do.

Once the leash is attached to the GL, you must be careful not to jerk the
leash, or you will be yanking on your dog's muzzle and could really hurt
him.  You can either just hold the leash without much slack, so if the dog
dives for something the loop on his nose will naturally tighten, then loosen
when he picks his head back up.  Or you can gently pull on the leash,
pulling his head away from whatever.

My last dog was a sniffer, and I did not have much success in using the GL
to pull his head away.  Your results may vary.

Some dogs slow way down with the GL.  He might get over it, or he might not.
It slowed my last dog down so much, and wasn't so useful with him, that I
stopped using it.  But it's worked well with Krokus, so I guess it depends
on the dog.

Your dog will probably try to paw it off his face for a while, so give him a
little time to get used to it.

Good luck.

Tracy