[nagdu] Proposed Service Dog Legislation in British Columbia, Canada

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 6 17:37:41 UTC 2015

Hi all:

I'm slow in getting time to respond to this thread. I'm probably not getting something since, from my perspective, nothing much is changing. First of all, I was required to get an id for Bogart when I came back from my school which is in his harness pouch. I also have the photo id from the school. I have never been asked to provide either of these pieces of id. I have been asked if Bogart is a guide dog and once I explain he is and I am blind there is never an issue.

I think those who are visually impaired have the least to worry about since it is usually obvious what the dog is doing for us. It could actually make life easier for those with other disabilities and different types of service dogs who are constantly hassled. I know of a deaf woman with a service dog who is always having troubles with taxis. (don't we all but her are worse).

As a person living in a rental suite I really want this legislation to pass so I never have to worry about having to move when Bogart retires, even if I immediately get a new guide dog. Same if I purchased a condo or townhouse. Right now retired service dogs are not protected so if I lived in a non-pet building I could be forced to move or send Bogart elsewhere when he retires. I guess it depends on what is important to people when reviewing the legislation.

I think many people comment on the media reports and don't read the whole legislation. Of course there will be things in the legislation that are just stupid but who would be enforcing them. for example I heard the attorney general mention that one couldn't use non-school harnesses any longer. How and who is going to enforce such a thing?

Anyway, I guess it is all about what people are worried about. If a person never keeps their retired guide dogs, or lives in a house, ththen what I really like about the legislation won't even catch their attention. I'd rather fight for changes than have the new legislation not go through at all

I think it is great to further educate the politicians and their staff since I think there is a lot of ignorance about service animals out there but threatening seems a bit silly at this point.

I'll spray on my flame retardent now. <chuckle>

Gary