[nagdu] vaccinations

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 21:18:10 UTC 2015

I have guide dogs for 39 years and I've never had a dog react badly to
vaccinations. that's not to say it doesn't happen, just that I don't think
it's super common. Also it depends on the types of places you go with your
dog. If you were going to be around a lot of dogs, or often took your dog to
places where other dogs hang out, like dog parks, I'd be pretty strict about
doing the shots. I adopted a cat last fall, from a local shelter. she was
the nicest sweet most affectionate cat I've ever had. Well, she ended up
developing a disease called feline infectious peritonitis, FIP. This is a
mutation of a virus common to cats in a shelter environment. the mild form
of it is easily cured. but when it mutates into FIP, it's always fatal, and
only one in 5000 cats get it. If she hadn't been in the shelter, she
wouldn't have ever gotten sick, because she wasn't around other cats and
never went outside. I tell that story just to illustrate that exposure to
other dogs, particularly dog in groups or dogs you don't know, could cause
your dog to be exposed to things that might be preventable with vaccines.
However, if you don't take your dog to places like dog parks, or let him
interact with strange dogs, then it isn't really something you need to worry
about too much. I hope that all makes sense. I'm rather anal about it, and I
do have my dogs get the shots every time the vet recommends it, and I'm
probably more anal after the experience with my cat. though there is no
vaccine to prevent FIP.

Sherry