[nagdu] Fingers crossed

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 07:49:00 UTC 2015

Abby,

Meal time and Treats for good behavior help your dog bond to you naturally.
Giving lots of praise and focusing more on good behavior than bad
behavior will make your dog want to please you more. Praise your dog
for just lying quietly. The more you give praise for good things, the
more good things your dog will do.
Training sessions and obedience routines demonstrate and establish the
expectations that you and your dog have for each other. They help you
and your dog feel each other out, and strengthen the communication
between you two.
Play with your dog on a daily basis. This is another opportunity to
strengthen communication, work out expectations, and unwind together.
And it goes without saying that cuddles, Massages and grooming help, too.

Be patient, don't push or rush your dog. It's natural to want to get
back into the swing of things, but be considerate that your new dog
will be unfamiliar with your home environment and routine and will
need time to adjust. Provide lots of independent and interactive play
time to allow for stress release.

When traversing your college campus, remember that while you know it,
your dog doesn't, so be patient when teaching new routes. Campuses are
not the most straightforward layout, so some dogs have a hard time
with the unique and tricky intersections.

I also suggest keeping your dog on leash until he understands the
house rules. Be proactive about preventing bad behaviors rather than
retroactive. Dogs lose 40-60% of their house training while in the
kennels, so if you show your dog upfront what is and is not
acceptable, you won't have to spend much time undoing self-rewarding
bad behaviors.
Hth, and good luck!
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs