[nagdu] Be careful when someone says "you can"--lol

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 03:28:15 UTC 2015

Dan, I loved it! What a great story! And to think that you ran
into that guy again! You just never know, right? As for crossing
streets and other such....

It was 2004.  We had just moved to our house 15 miles out of
Colville, Washington.  It was early November and we already had
snow.  My husband and I were returning from town, and I was
itching to go for a walk.  I had my Golden Retriever Cleo.  She
was an intrepid soul.  I told Craig when we got to the edge of
our lane, (which was about a half mile to the house) I told him
to let me out, I wanted to walk home with Cleo.  He told me that
it had snowed, and maybe I might want to rethink this particular
walk.  Oh no, I said, a little snow was no big deal.  So he let
me out of the pickup and drove away.  The silence was
magnificent.  There were no cars going by on the county highway,
and just Cleo and I stood in the snow.  She shook all over, and
when I picked up her harness handle and said, "Cleo, forward."
she seemed to be trying to fortify herself.  The first step I
took found me sinking into knee-high snow.  I pulled my foot out
of the snow, and began moving forward.  Almost every step I took,
the snow was knee-high.  It's hard work walking in that kind of
snow.  We finally arrived at the house, and Cleo and I huddled
close to the stove the rest of the afternoon.  I have learned
since then to listen more closely to what my husband says.  I
sometimes decide that I can walk or do something he is hesitant
about, and sometimes I'm right, but I do it more with a sense of
prudence than before.  (Smile).    Debby and superstar Nova P.S.
Colville is in northern Stevens County, and our house was only
nine miles, as the crow flies, from the Canadian border.