[nagdu] Freeze Dried Dog Food

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 16:02:31 UTC 2015

				Thank you Raven.

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Raven Tolliver via nagdu
Sent: Thursday, August 6, 2015 10:32 PM
To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users <nagdu at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Raven Tolliver <ravend729 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [nagdu] Freeze Dried Dog Food

Rebecca, you said:
"how did you validate the info about raw feeding before you tried it?"

I researched it extensively, reading articles by fellow rawfeeders, animal naturopaths, and articles on the horrors of processed foods and the benefits of raw. I also researched both sides of the rawfeeding and commercial food arguments.
Logically, raw-feeding makes the most sense to me. Dogs have the physiology of canines, which are carnivores. Carnivores thrive on raw meat, bones, and organs. They do not have systems that can independently break down and glean nutrients from plant matter.
Also, processed food is deficient in or depleted of nutrients.
Processed food cannot be the best food for my dog if it does not contain all the nutrients he needs.
Processed foods deplete the body's store of nutrients. These foods contain carbs, sugars and synthetic vitamins which leach nutrients from the body, and slow or prevent nutrient absorption.

All of those things make sense to me, and I have applied this knowledge to mine and my dog's diet. Everything I buy has one ingredient, and I know where it comes from. I can contact the person or farm where it is produced, and ask all the questions I want, and even visit and tour the place where my food is raised, grown, or fermented.
Processed food is extremely convenient, but it doesn't make sense that it is higher in nutrients than real food.
Furthermore, food is not just sustenance, food is medicine. Real food has a healing effect. It strengthens the immune system, increases focus and mental alertness, and increases availability of energy for physical activity.

You also said:
"I'm just struggling with the "one day there was processed dog food, and the next day there was chicken breast"."

I researched rawfeeding for a month before I started feeding my dog raw. I decided that I would finish the bag of kibble, and just start feeding raw the next day. So when the bag of kibble was through, I gave my dog a chicken breast to eat the next morning. He did not take to it right away. He wwas so used to just lapping his food up, rather than needing to bite, rip, and tear into it.

You said:
"Also, did you do anything else while you were researching how to clear these ear infections and skin infections?"

Yes, I was still giving steroidal ear drops. Once I read about the damaging effects of steroids, I switched to flushing his ears with
50/50 acv and water, and using coconut oil instead of ear drops.
Eventually, I learned that it is not healthy to flush the ear frequently, and just used coconut oil. His ears detoxed for 2 months straight after I got him off of processed food and other toxic pet products.

Ask anymore questions you have.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs