[nagdu] Arbitrary restrictions on playing with future guide dogs

Shannon Dyer solsticesinger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 02:47:59 UTC 2015

Basically, I view the lecture on play as a list of guidelines that I obey until I know my dog well. In the case of my current guide, fetch is all right, but soft toys are not. He is a power chewer, so stuffed toys don’t last long at all. Fetching a bone or a kong hasn’t caused him to behave badly while working, but I can see why schools might advise against such things, especially in the beginning. It takes time for dog and handler to know each other’s strengths and weaknesses, and, until that happens, I see nothing wrong with some guidance. I found it especially helpful when working my first guide.

Shannon and the Acelet