[nagdu] Arbitrary restrictions on playing with future guide dogs

Vivianna irishana at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 05:01:25 UTC 2015

my dog has hard things to chew on.  we play hide and seek.  i hide her toys and have her go find them.  etc.
but, i also play tug with a rope toy occasionally, and a little bit of ball these days.
and, if the dog has to much of a dog distraction then, it won’t make it through training.
i think that the ball thing is a good thing to leave out as, dogs can get super obsessed with balls.  and, they don’t want to play tug with the dogs because, they think it stimulates rough behavior and, frankly, lots of folks would not be able to handle a dog with a super hard bite.
my dog has a full-mouth bite and she plays hard.  i think that would scare some folks if they didn’t know she was just playing.
they want the dogs to be soft and gentle.
balls and frisbees are out in public as well and the dog can become almost unworkable if they are to focused on play all the time.
they have trained dogs for many years and, they know what works.  i agree with the school.
i’ll bet they also tell the puppy raisers not to feed the dogs from the table etc.
you don’t want a dog that is focused on food all the time either.

Vivianna