[nagdu] Volunteering at the animal shelter.

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Aug 13 13:59:20 UTC 2015

Hi Rox.  Good for you!  A friend and I, separately, both tried to volunteer
at NYC animal shelters, and were told we were too much of an insurance risk.
The woman who turned me down hastened to add that they weren't
discriminating; they accepted mentally-challenged 12-year-olds.  So clearly,
a mentally-challenged child is more trustworthy than a blind person with
many years experience working with dogs.  It's good to hear that people in
other cities aren't so narrow-minded.  And it's depressing to be told over
and over that, despite my many skills and talents, a blind person has
nothing to offer a volunteer organization, at least not around here.
Tracy