[nagdu] Improving house behaviors of ENERGETIC dogs

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Aug 16 11:52:04 UTC 2015

To me it sounds like he has a lot of excess energy.   You are on the right
track with removing the toy or having him lie down.  I would resume the play
session in a few seconds or a minute, when he calms down a touch.  If you
wait for full calm, I think you are going to be waiting for some time and it
will be frustrating for him.   He should be able to learn when excited at
this age.   If he misses when grabbing at a toy and gets your hand with his
teeth, yelping in a high pitch voice can be a strong deterrent.  It works
better with young puppies, but it can't hurt and it may help him to
understand in his language.  It's what a puppy would do if another puppy was
too rowdy.

On playing with other people...I'd recruit a few sturdy friends who are up
for helping you do some training sessions.   Have the friend cross her arms
and turn away if he jumps or even if he gets too rowdy.  It's negative
punishment by removing the reward.    In this case I think it will be much
more effective than a collar correction.  You could then ask him to sit or
down or something easy for him that you are confident he will be successful
with.  this will do two things: get him to stop jumping and reinforce that
you make the rules.

Extra exercise,challenging puzzle games or training him to do silly tricks
or additional tasks would also help.   You could work him more in harness,
but it would probably mean a lot of walking, like several miles at least.
It sounds like he could go for a long while walking.  If there is an area
where he can run a bit, a Flexi leash could work.  You could randomly ask
him to come to you and sit to reinforce that he still needs to mind you even
when having some free play.   There are lots of puzzle toys available.  Some
use food, some don't, but they would occupy his mind, which can be just as
tiring as physical exercise.  Teaching him additional skills is also good
mental exercise and it could be physical exercise too.  A few winters ago I
worked with Monty on what I call dancing.  What it really is is working on
staying in heel position no matter how I spin or turn.  There's a book, "101
things to do with a box" by Karen Pryor that is excellent with clicker
training ideas for small spaces, busy dogs and not a lot of time to plan out
something specific.

I do think with time and practice he will be able to play with other people,
if that's what you want.  Maybe scale it back a bit to where he can be
successful and keep working on it, increasing the rowdy factor very, very
gradually.   Maybe try less exciting toys or tossing them not as far or not
as fast or around friends that he doesn't get so excited about.  I know my
dogs get super wound up around a couple of people I know, my Dad and one
particular friend, other people might as well be lamp posts, they are that
exciting to the dogs!  LOL

Good luck!
Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC