[nagdu] Taking the next step in impulse control

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Aug 18 13:30:56 UTC 2015

Krokus has gotten pretty good at not grabbing food if he knows I know it's
there.  I can put a Cheezit on the edge of the table, or even on the chair,
and he won't grab it.

But he will grab food I don't know about, or even sometimes that I do.  For
instance, I went out to get something nice for breakfast, and he grabbed a
piece of bread some pig threw down at the bus stop, which I took away from
him and tossed toward the street.  On the way back, I thought I was ready to
stop him grabbing the bread again, but clearly I wasn't, because he did and
I had to take it away again.

How do I move to the next phase in impulse control?  All I know is to
correct him when he grabs stuff on the street, but that is not working.  How
do we move on from not grabbing food in the house to not grabbing it in the
street?

I have tried putting things on the walk out front, then clicking him for
ignoring them, which he does.  But I can't click him for ignoring stuff I
don't know about.

Tracy