[nagdu] GPS was process of getting a guide dog from leader dog

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Aug 23 15:49:08 UTC 2015

I was thinking about this exploring your environment and planning routes
thing...I used to have an ap that had categories of stuff, gas stations,
grocery stores, theaters and so on.  when you tapped on a category it popped
up with a list of things in that category and the distance.  Tapping on an
item there would give you directions.  I'm thinking it used Google maps,
which have pedestrian directions.  I'm thinking the ap was called "Around
Me".  However it's been a couple of years since I used it and I've long
since taken it off my iPad.

At any rate, I'm sure that ap or an assortment of similar aps are available
that could certainly help in exploring your area, while still at home.  I'm
less intimidated to go out and explore if I have some advance information
and a goal in mind.   While I've wandered around totally unfamiliar areas,
popping into shops to ask questions about what stores are about, it's not at
the top of my list of most loved things to do.   However if I know in
advance that there's a new restaurant and I have a street name, I'm much
more likely to head out, asking directions as needed along the way.

I only have an iPad and while I do have cell data for it, it's not ideal for
using while in route.  Mostly I check out what's around from home or my
hotel room.   I leave the iPad behind and use your basic O&M skills to get
where I'm going.  I do hope to get an iPhone in the next few months, but in
the meantime I'll keep using what works for me.

John you've been given a lot of ideas: a mobility instructor, GPS, friends,
local NFB chapter, go out and explore on your own and you mentioned moving.
those are all good.  I do hope you find the combination of things that works
for you. It doesn't have to be a single tool that works for you though.
Most people use a variety of resources, putting them together in creative
ways.  the only way to figure this out is to practice and see what works for
you.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC