[nagdu] Just saw this: Guide dogs and athletes

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Aug 23 20:16:37 UTC 2015

I'm sure it depends on the speed of the runner and the height of the dog,
but when I've run with my dogs, they aren't running.  they are at a very
brisk walk or sometimes the next gait faster...a lope???...but it's not a
run.  You'd have to be some kind of athlete to keep up with a running dog
long distance.

I've been down on the hike and bike trails and there are a number of people
who bike and the dog runs along, off leash.  I think the trail is 2.5 miles
long and we meet them both coming and going, so that could be 5 miles their
dog is at a full run. the dogs seem happy.  they do all seem to prefer
running in the grass alongside the trail, instead of the concrete trail
itself.

I'm just offering this up as food for thought, not an endorsement or
confirmation of anything.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC