[nagdu] Trying to understand: denial of access bad allergies

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 26 00:31:23 UTC 2015

Mary Ann:

You do not have to come in direct contact with a dog to have an allergic
reaction.  When my nephew was younger, he would react if he was in the same
room as my dog.  My parents and sister would have to change their clothes
before they were around my nephew if they had been around my dog.  No matter
how well we groom our dogs, dog hair and dander are left behind.  Since the
Uber driver's use their own personal cars, this could be a significant
problem for someone who has or with a family member who has allergies to
dogs.  Every person with allergies is different in their reactions and the
severity of those reactions.  I have asthma and allergies to lots of things
including dogs.  I have found that although my meds allow me to be around my
dog, I have trouble if I am around more than one dog.  This has caused me to
decline offers of roommates at conventions.  Am I a horrible person because
my allergies don't permit me to room with another guide dog?  No, obviously
not.  My point is, although we have our rights according to the ADA, let's
also have understanding for someone with a significant medical condition.
Maybe you would understand better if you really understood what can happen
with a severe asthma or allergy attack.  They can be very frightening and if
they're bad enough, it can be life threatening.  I do agree that anyone
applying to drive either Uber or a cab should be made aware that they will
be asked to transport people with service dogs.  I bet it isn't even a
question on their applications, interviews or driver training.

Sandra