[nagdu] Any tips for us?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Aug 26 13:30:51 UTC 2015

I think there are two goals that puppies need to achieve in order to be
successful guides:
1. self control
2. the ability to cope with boredom

If a dog understands that good things come to those who wait, then I can
teach or reinforce most any behavior.   If the dog understands that some
things are off limits, always, and accepts that, then it won't become a
power struggle.  If a dog can pass up tempting opportunities, then we will
both be happier.  If a dog doesn't have to be entertained every moment of
every day, then I can more freely live my life, doing the things I need to
do.   Or if the dog will play with toys or watch the cat or engage in
whatever amusement he likes, without needing me to facilitate it, then life
is good.

I think everything else is a product of these two core traits.  It sets the
foundation for all future success.  I simply don't care about a perfect sit.
If my dog chooses to lie down instead, fine.  what I want is for him to mind
his own business and be unobtrusive, however he chooses to achieve that is
acceptable to me.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC