[nagdu] Trying to understand: denial of access bad allergies

Louise Johnson herclouise at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 26 22:08:26 UTC 2015

Hi I come from both sides. Please read as my story is different and was hard at the time.

I am a mother of three sons. When my first son was born I had Loris. We had been together for over four years when he was born.  I once in his first three months was turned down for a cab and it was a cold evening. The driver said he was allergic to dogs. I was lucky that another taxi pulled in a few minutes later and the drivers changed who they were taking in their cars.

I phoned and made a complaint the next week.

 Okay now this becomes even harder as two weeks later I found out that my son was allergic to dogs, and the doctor thought he could live with the dog.

Two months later no I had to send back Loris as he just couldn't live in the same house as my Loris.

So I do understand that people do have to share that they have it so it can be on the file at work. If the driver decide not to report it knowing they can have guides dogs in their car. They should take us but isn't it up to dispatch to know what driver can't take a guide dog and send the right driver.

So this is hard for me as for about three my son couldn't even be around a person who had been near a dog of any kind.

He now lives with us as he is 22 years old and has over the last ten years been doing that.

I just want all to understand that it upsets me when I get turned down but do understand the other side of the coin. I think we should fight that if you are allergic you should let the employer know  that you have the allergy, and that is more important we fight for, as then it is up to dispatch  to make sure that that driver isn't sent. Thanks for reading and ask questions Louise and princess Kiara