[nagdu] Fwd: A question

Tom Hunter tomhunter at operamail.com
Fri Aug 28 19:21:03 UTC 2015

 Vivianna via nagdu wrote:
> I agree.[...] one of
> the most difficult tasks at that, every now and then, this would not
> work.  overheads are one of the hardest things for a dog to become good
> at.

Thanks and I am lucky to have the optic nerves to one eye, that remain.

I did feel a bit guilty applying for a guide dog, that others would need
much more.

The GDB rep who watched me walk, was quite clear that a guide dog would
only slow me down, and I don't need one. This was on March 12th this
year, and I thought he was being a bit harsh, after a bad day?

Yesterday someone explained what the GDB rep meant by saying a dog is
too short to see over my head. A guide dog is trained, she explained,
to look down, and overhead is not where the dog is trained to look.

> also, GDB is super liberal and will give their dogs to legally blind
> folks with lots of vision.  so, if even they say that you see to
> much…just be glad you can see and, perhaps learn some alternative
> techniques for getting around places with over heads.
>
> Vivianna

Yes my blind spots include overhead, but I can walk slower and look up
down and to the left( the left eye's completely blind, as is the left
field in the right) and I hesitate to try again to apply to another
school, though someone from GDA told me that's what she'd do.