[nagdu] Fwd: A question Julie and Tom

Tom Hunter tomhunter at operamail.com
Fri Aug 28 21:40:58 UTC 2015

Yvonne and Julie, thanks. I just talked on phone to Cindy Ray, who urged
me to use my cane all the time, too.

The 2nd school sent someone to watch me walk in my neighborhood, and
asked if I always used my cane when walking  out of the house.

I  confessed, I don't use it more than half the time in my neighborhood,
where my wife and I have lived for over 20 years. I try to walk twice a
day, and so, the neighborhood's still familiar.  I have bumped into
someone on the sidewalk, twice, so I should use the cane more.

I've also hit my head on a guy wire over sidewalk more than once, and on
low branches overhead while on another sidewalk  with a cane, though I
didn't sweep the white cane overhead.

Cindy Ray confirmed what I have heard this week.  There is no such
animal, other than a guide dog (or pony?) whom I am allowed to use to
help with my disability, which is, I'm 'legally blind'. Basically, a
guide dog or no dog for me, if I want to go with, to places where
'regular' dogs are not allowed.

I seem to have fallen through the cracks here.  Too blind to have a
driver's license, or to work at a job I've done for 30 years. Blind
enough to be on long-term disability. But a guide dog seems out of
reach.

Unless... Thoughts, anyone?
--
  Tom Hunter