[nagdu] Fwd: A question Julie and Tom

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Aug 29 00:08:13 UTC 2015

Tom,

Once you get used to traveling with a cane, you might find walking a lot
more relaxing. I have RP, which is progressive, so spent a few years in
that in-between zone. It was hard to get used to using a cane when it
still seemed like I could see at least in most light, but once I took to
using it regularly, I wouldn't be without it!

It might help with guide dog evaluations if you pick a route that is not
so familiar so you don't just know where everything is and appear to
have more sight than you do or that you're traveling more visually than
you are.

Do the programs still have you submit your medical records with the
visual field tests and so forth? Perhaps you could refer to those to
demonstrate how a guide dog can enhance your safety.

Guide dogs are trained to avoid overhead obstacles, though some are
better than others. It's true that those with some vision may have to
work harder to learn to follow the dog, but a lot of folks seem to
manage it. I think it really depends on the individual.

hth

Tami