[nagdu] Trying to understand: denial of access bad allergies

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 01:50:41 UTC 2015

Hi Louise, but then people would have to tell the dispatch person
that they have a service dog, which I personally don't have a
problem with.  You know folks, if you are calling a cab to go
somewhere, it's true the law is on our side, they're supposed to
take us.  And many of you think it's a terrible thing to disclose
that you have a dog.  But wouldn't it be fairer to the cab
company to let them know so that they can send someone who does
not have allergies, or the driver is so terrified of our dog that
he or she can hardly drive for fear of the dog getting too close?
Sometimes we need to use some common sense.  It's true I have the
right not to disclose.  But if the cab arrives and the driver is
truly allergic to dogs, I have wasted his or her time, and am
wasting mine as the cab company has to send someone else.  Or
Uber, or Lyft.

I once had a doctor who had severe allergies to dogs.  The first
time I saw her, I had my dog with me.  She opened the door, saw
him, and it was the one and only time she acted in an
unprofessional manner.  She rushed out shouting, "Why is there a
dog in my room?" She apologized and said that she had to ask me
not to bring the dog into her exam room again.  Having gone
through dog allergies myself, I totally understood where she was
coming from, and either left my dog home, or left him in the
waiting room with my husband or a friend for the remainder of the
time she was my primary care physician.  We have rights, but we
also have a responsibility, in my opinion, to care about other
people.  Many of you don't know what it's like to have your
throat be scratchy all the time, nose running, not able to
breathe well because of an allergy to dog.  And some allergy
relief meds make people sleepy.  So maybe when calling a cab,
telling them isn't such a bad idea.  Just my opinion.

It's a different matter when you're hailing a taxi on the city
street.  I do think it's rude and inconsiderate for a taxi to
just pull away.  I personally think if they can't or won't pick
someone up, they should at least have the courtesy to pull up and
tell the person that they're calling another cab.     Debby and
Nova