[nagdu] Please don't pet me, I'm working.

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Sun Aug 30 21:11:40 UTC 2015

I'm one of those who isn't necessarily as strict about petting as others are. Here's my take on it.

I don't want people petting my dog without asking. I also want people to respect my wishes when, if asked, I say no for whatever reason, either because I'm in a hurry, my dog is distracted, or I just feel arbitrary. I don't feel the need to go into some huge song and dance about it...that gets real old real fast.

Having said that however, I recognize that people will do all of these things. People will pet without asking. People will pet even after I say that they can't right now. People will pet because they "just can't help it", apparently self-control wasn't a thing they were taught as a child. Point is, people will do it. I can handle it one of two ways:

1) I can get on each person who does this, and this may or may not be effective. I have and I do.

2) I can use it as a training opportunity, primarily for the petter, and secondarily, though it seems otherwise, for my dog. I do that as well. Let me explain.

Someone pets my dog, when i say yes and dog follows my rules. That is to say, he's sitting calmly, or at least, if he gets excited, he's brought back under control before petting continues. In this case, I will tell the person that he can be pet once he's sitting calmly. All good. Person learns that they have to ask, and only under my specific instructions.

Person pets without permission and dog ignores it: I may admonish the person for petting and ask them not to, because he's busy/working/whatever, or "Please don't pet my dog". Anyway, they usually get very little satisfaction for this, because the dog isn't acknowledging. Good for everybody. He gets praised for ignoring.

Dog gets petted without permission and gets distracted: Dog gets a correction for getting distracted, which brings his focus back. Petter usually feels bad, or at least is a bit contrite. I can then admonish the petter for getting my dog into trouble by distracting him. The thing is, people generally don't care much that they're distracting the dog from his important, potentially lifesaving work. After all, if you get hit by a car, well, your dog just needed more training anyway, or you should have just stayed home in the first place. People are actually more upset at the idea that your dog got in trouble. Doesn't matter for what. And if they're the cause of it, well, maybe they'll think about that next time.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
Email: buddy at brannan.name