[nagdu] Guides at NFB training centers

larry d keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Mon Aug 31 02:58:44 UTC 2015

My take on the matter is that we should be able to use our dogs at NFB
centers just like we would anywhere else. Ok, during cane specific O and M
lessons or if cane use is essential for the testing process. I also believe
that instructors should be familiar with the basics of guide dog use. For
example, what the commands do, what the dog is doing when responding to
those commands and what dogs can and can't do. Many O and M instructors have
very little idea of how to teach dog users mobility. I also believe that
discrimination within the NFB against dog users is still pretty prevelant.
Why ban or severely restrict dog use in the centers during classes that
don't involve cane use directly! I use both dog and cane well. I understand
the need for good cane travel. What I don't understand is why and how its ok
to tell people they can't work they're dogs for a good part of the day! And
in some cases for as much as 9 months! I personally just don't get it! Also,
I think other blind people need to know how to deal with dogs in the
classroom and at the dinner table and in the lounge! Some need to learn not
to poke or beat dogs with they're canes. They need to learn that sometimes
they may need to share foot room under the table with a dog. We may also
have to learn ways to keep this from happening without causing conflict.