[nagdu] Applying structured discovery to guide dog travel

larry d keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Mon Aug 31 19:49:02 UTC 2015

Raven, this is great! I'd sure love to see something like this! I've helped with discovery workshops here in Ann Arbor as far as canes go. I remember asking the instructor, Doug Boone if he knew anything about how to teach mobility to those with dogs and he didn't really know how. Being here in Michigan, you've probably met him at conventions. Don't know, I haven't met you yet but anyway, he knows his job well and comes up with some great ideas. But, it proves my point that for some reason, O and M folks aren’t learning about guide travel the way I think they should! I was thinking about it. I think an analogy with writing might work. I was taught braille at the School for the Blind way back in the early 70's. I learned the braille writer, then the slate. I had some sight when I was a wee one so I learned large print and some hand writing. Then, came typing and finally, in the 90's the computer and Smart phone. I was never asked to stop practicing hand writing or the braille writer when I started typing. I was never asked to not use the computer so that I could learn braille. I have learned to use all of these things together so that I can increase my cummication skills. In the 80's, I also learned sign language. Without knowing that I would have a daughter who would require it! Well of course the point is, why can't you learn cane travel in that class and use the dog during other classes. The only class I might not use Holly in by choice might be a cooking class.