[nagdu] Guides at NFB training centers

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 23:35:21 UTC 2015

Cindy, I have no problem with and am glad I did the cane part.
All I'm saying is that I think it's short-sighted of the Centers
not to allow people to use their dogs more, and to perhaps tailor
some of the Travel lessons to include the use of the dog.  If you
can't take the cane skills you have and then use your dog better
with your improved skills, that could be an issue.  It is the
same reason that though I believe using sleepshades is a good
thing, I think that people with some vision should also have some
travel lessons that incorporate that, since once people leave
training they will no doubt be visual travelers.  Some people
make efficient use of the limited vision they have, and some
don't know how to.

Lamar did end up retiring after I came back from the Center.  I
think that if TSE had been able to work with us in Denver,
perhaps I would have been able to keep him with me and work with
him on weekends, and at other times, and if there had been a few
opportunities to use him in some of my Travel Lessons, that would
have been a good thing.  The fact is though, Lamar was shutting
down in Denver, and not able to cope with the city work.  He was
used to more quiet working conditions, our lane, some work in
Colville and going with Craig and me when we went places.  He was
totally thrown by being in Littleton.  At that point, nobody from
TSE was able to come and work with me.  So Lamar went back to my
husband and was basically retired.  By the time I came back from
the Center, Lamar rather liked not working.  Two months after ow
made the choice to retire him, we bought our house and moved into
my current neighborhood.  But I am grateful to CCB, because I'm a
much more confident traveler, among other things.  They gave me
back my independence, which I had lost.  I will forever love the
staff there, and have awesome memories out things I did there,
that still help me today when confronted with difficult
situations, not just in orientation but in other things.  I still
have a cruddy sense of direction, but it doesn't bother me as
much.  And I still do better when walking with Nova, which is
thrilling.  But I have learned to be mindful, to listen, and have
found myself not lost because I heard something that made me
realize I should go in another direction.  All I would like to
see is the Centers allowing for more use of dogs as people
improve in their cane use, so that the lessons learned in cane
travel can more immediately be incorporated into use of the dog.
Debby and Nova